notary public estimates

Charges and How to Pay

Our charges are as recommended by the Notaries Society.

It is difficult to estimate in some cases how much time will be required to complete a matter, bearing in mind the variety of circumstances that may arise. However, guidance as to likely costs will be given on receipt of instructions and sight of documents. Any estimates given will be based on the information available at the time and, although given in good faith, will not be binding.

There is a minimum fee of £60. Most jobs of work take a minimum of about thirty minutes to complete. This includes the time taken to make the appointment, check identities and authorities, make sign and seal the certificate and make appropriate records.

If your document needs to be legalised, additional costs are incurred; the Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) charge for each Apostille (the stamp of approval of the British Government). The cost - as at November 2016 – is £30 per Apostille per document. Furthermore some countries will require further certification from their local Consulate or Embassy. Fees for this requirement can vary greatly – as can the time taken to process the document concerned: please enquire.


notary public payment options

How to Pay

I do not charge VAT and accept payment in cash or by cheque supported by the appropriate Card.


notary public translation services

Document not in English?

Document in a foreign language? No problem.

If the document is not in English, the Notary can still certify it if he or she is satisfied that you fully understand the nature of the legally binding document about to be notarised. Some foreign language documents can be legalised; your MyNotary notary will be able to advise. Your MyNotary notary can also arrange translation if necessary.


concerns about notary service

Concerns About Service


1. My notarial practice is regulated by the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury:

The Faculty Office
1, The Sanctuary
London SW1P 3JT
Telephone: 020 7222 5381
Email:                     Website:

2. If you are dissatisfied about the service you have received please do not hesitate to contact me.

3. If I am unable to resolve the matter you may then complain to the Notaries Society of which I am a member, who have a Complaints Procedure which is approved by the Faculty Office.  This procedure is free to use and is designed to provide a quick resolution to any dispute.

4. In that case please write (but do not enclose any original documents) with full details of your complaint to:-

The Secretary of The Notaries Society
Old Church Chambers 23 Sandhill Road
St James, Northampton NN5 5LH
Tel: 01604 758908

If you have any difficulty in making a complaint in writing, please do not hesitate to call the Notaries Society/the Faculty Office for assistance.

5. Finally, even if you have your complaint considered under the Notaries Society Approved Complaints Procedure, you may at the end of that procedure, or after a period of six months from the date you first notified me that you were dissatisfied, make your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman*, if you are not happy with the result:

Legal Ombudsman
PO Box 6806
Wolverhampton WV1 9WJ 
Tel: 0300 555 0333
Email:                   Website:

6. If you decide to make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman you must refer your matter to the Legal Ombudsman within:-

  • Six months of receiving a final response to your complaint and
  • Six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • Three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint (only if the act/omission took place more than six years ago)


The act or omission, or when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint, must have been after 5th October 2010.

*certain kinds of commercial entities are not eligible to make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman
- please refer to the Legal Ombudsman Scheme Rules or consult the Faculty Office.

Specialising in

I am familiar with the (often lengthy) documentation required when ...

  • Individuals go to work overseas
  • Notarising documents for doctors going to work in Australia
  • Nurses going to work in the Middle East
  • Teachers relocating to UAE (Dubai and Abu Dhabi being the most popular) or Qatar
  • Completing trade agreements with countries outside the scope of Hague Convention for example company documents to do with trading with China
  • Individuals’ documents that need to be processed at the Indian High Commission; obtaining Indian visas: Person of Indian Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)